Friday, August 21, 2015

Living the Dream

My pal Shannon posted that on Facebook today, and it suddenly struck me how true it is. Coming to the South to pursue a Ph.D. has been my dream for a long time. And here I am, doing it. Amazing!

I write today from my GTA (graduate teaching assistant) office on the 5th floor of Dunford Hall. Through the branches of the trees, I can see the construction on the new Student Union and the cars and people along Volunteer Boulevard. It's a nice view. 



From 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. on Fridays are my office hours. As I didn't expect many visitors today, I brought a 19-page essay by historian Stephanie McCurry to read. But I'm so mentally, physically, and emotionally fried that I'm going to blog instead. 

Now, this fried condition is actually the result of a fantastic week. I can begin on Wednesday morning, the first day of actual classes. I had no classes of my own that day, but the History 221 that I am the GTA for had its first meeting that day. It's a huge class, 120 students, which is why my fellow GTA and I have three discussion sections each on Fridays. 

There was actually an adventure even before I got to class Wednesday morning. When I woke that day, it was raining. I looked around for an umbrella but found none--not surprising. Fine, no worries. These rain things come and go. You know what?  This one came and stayed. I waited in my car as long as I could but eventually had to head toward class. Happily, there was a Walgreens on the walk from the parking garage to the classroom. I burst through those doors, turned to the young man working there, and shouted "UNBRELLAS?"  He was standing right next to them. I picked out an orange one and continued my journey to class, but my shoes stayed soaked for the rest of the day. 

After that first 221 class, I had my first one-on-one with my interim advisor. I couldn't have been happier. My advisor is nice, funny, and generous with his time and knowledge. I left there feeling like a million bucks. 

That night, a terrific thunderstorm passed over Knoxville. As Maddie and Heidi can attest, I like to watch the lightning and rain and to hear the thunder. So, I opened my patio door to peek out. Getting braver, I stepped out into the patio to get a clearer view of the sky. Just then, a flash of lightning turned everything around me white. Immediately, a CRASH of thunder sounded so loud that I could feel the vibrations in the air. Bravery deserted me, and I scampered back inside, slammed shut the door, and closed the blinds tight. This is not your California thunderstorm!

Thursday saw the first of my own classes and my first Starbucks visit. The classes are kind of big for reading seminars, but once again, I felt like I was with my people. Both instructors on Thursday are wonderful, and I have an idea that I'm really going to like working with the gender studies instructor--she's also a fan of old movies!!

Today I held my three discussion sections.  The first and third take place in one building, while the middle one is in a totally different building (all part of UT's apparent effort to make me physically fit). The students all seem nice and polite, so I'm hoping for a fun and smooth semester. 

And now it's office hours and Stephanie McCurry is calling to me. I can't wait until 3:00 when I can go home to my tiny flat, bolt the door, and hibernate until Monday. 

Living the dream here in Knoxville....

P.S.  I'm totally styling the big hair. I look like I have a red-furred sheepdog on my head. 



1 comment:

  1. As the sheepdog look is NOT in, I would suggest you get some hair gel and pronto!

    ReplyDelete