Monday, August 10, 2015

Another Bubbly Blog

Yes, I'm in the tub again. I love this bathtub!  I'm using my French Lavender and Honey bubble bath, a gift from my darling Princess, and looking back on a crazy day. 

The most important things on my to-do list today were to get a money order for my security deposit and to sign my employment papers. The first chore necessitated a visit to the local Post Office. Those of you who have been within the sound of my voice before-during-after visits to that erstwhile organization founded by Benjamin Franklin know that I'm not a fan. The Post Office is not a venue that places a high premium on customer service. So I didn't expect much when I walked into 37909. But, I held the door for an old man walking behind me, and he said, "thank you, darlin'," so I was totally tickled. Of course, the line was long but I got to the point where I would be the next lucky contestant when I heard a chicken. Being me, I wondered WTF. And, when I was called to the counter, I explained my business but then quickly asked, "Is that a chicken?"  "No," came the placid reply from the clerk, "that's a rooster."  Yes, in some nether reaches of 37909, a rooster, along with a few other birds whose species remain unknown to the clerk, holds forth and crows even though it was afternoon. You can't get that level of entertainment value at the 95624, I can tell you. 

Next stop was the campus of the University of Tennessee. OMG!  It makes Sac State seem the size of a modest high school. To make it worse, there was construction all over the place, including road work. I couldn't find a single place that said "student parking," so I parked in a 30-minute spot and prayed that I'd get to Dunford Hall (home of the History Department) and back in time. 

When I stepped out of the car, I knew I was in trouble. Like Knoxville itself, the campus is built on hills. And the air was 90% water and 10% oxygen and felt like 120 degrees (I am given to understand it was only in the low 90s, but that's not how it felt).  But I trudged along like a lost waif until a kindly lady with a charming drawl pointed me in the right direction. Once inside the building, I had no trouble finding the office I was seeking and the very nice Kim who does the paperwork for TA's. Of course, I had sweat dripping down my face, and she kindly offered me a couple of Kleenex to dry off before signing the necessary paperwork. 

Back to the tiny flat, where Maddie and Yvette had been getting stuff more organized. Here I have to mention that the two of them are f'ing amazing. Tolerant of my overwhelmedness (I'm making that a new word) and helpful to an extreme, I couldn't do this without them. Literally, I couldn't handle it either emotionally or practically without these two. Or my mom, who stands by the phone ready to ride to my rescue like a knight in shining red hair. 

Here I am getting weepy, so I'll continue on with the day's highlights. 

An early dinner deemed appropriate for this hardworking crew, we dined at the local Cracker Barrel, courtesy of the awesome Anita. Good ol' Southern cooking meant another chance for me to enjoy fried okra. Thanks, Nini--it was delicious!


Back to the tiny flat, we finished unloading the truck, including tackling the monster china cabinet. When that was done, Yvette continued her quest to start me off with a well-organized, clean kitchen. I hope I'll actually cook in it before I return to California. 

One last word before I sign off for the evening. Gas prices here are AMAZING!  


That's all from Knoxville. Nighty-night!






No comments:

Post a Comment