Sunday, August 9, 2015

I Am Arrived

I write this blog from my new apartment, in my new bathroom, from the bubbly confines of my new bathtub. I can see why scientists say that moving is right up there with death of a loved one when it comes to trauma. This process is STRESSFUL!  Thank heavens I have Yvette and Maddie with me!!

I love the apartment. While it doesn't have the fireplace I wanted, it does have new paint, all new appliances, and lovely old-timey hardwood floors.  The walls are a pale green with a darker olive for accent. While the bathtub is spacious and made for laying in, there seems to be no cold water available from its faucet. No, wait, I wrote too soon. I think I have to get accustomed to this new type of faucet. And, of course, I need to learn how to control water flow and temperature with my feet. That's a must. 



The sound of cicadas fills the air here;I can hear them in the house even with the doors and windows shut. The neighbors make a little noise on the ceiling, but that's pretty much apartment living.

My kitchen is beautiful; small but with brand-new appliances--the stove has never been cooked on. And the freezer made ice so damned fast--a must in this climate. But really. What a waste on somebody like me who could live on cereal, popcorn, and Diet Pepsi. 




So far, I haven't seen much of the famed Southern hospitality. Lauren, one of the office girls here at my complex, was one outstanding exception to this finding. She greeted me with such a big hug when I got here. We've bonded over the course of many phone calls, and she's very sweet. 

Another exception were the two neighbors I met while they were walking their dogs. Of course, bonding over dogs is universal. And the lady at Kohl's this afternoon when I needed last-minute bath towels was very nice. She knew people associated with Sac State's Engineering Department and has even visited in Sacramento before. But my upstairs neighbors seem a little douchey. Not bad, just not friendly. 

So, I'll spend my first night on Heidi's air mattress, which will serve as my bed until I buy one. There are still a ton of things left in the moving truck that need to come in, but that can wait until tomorrow. The building which houses my tiny flat sits atop a little hill, meaning that everything from a light box of clothes to my heavy-as-hell china cabinet has to come up. It's hard work but we'll move the rest of the stuff up tomorrow. 

Oh, and my hair would be huge with the humidity if it weren't for the fact that I've sweated so much that it's plastered to my head. 

Time for some more cool water into my tub....





1 comment:

  1. A darling apartment and now you know why all the gals in the south have BIG HAIR. It's the fecking humidity. Get a good night sleep and have a fun job "nesting" tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete