Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Best Orientation EVER

I'm exhausted but elated!  I've opened my patio door to hear the rain and the random crash of thunder. I've kicked off my shoes and have crashed on Lovie the fainting couch. I have a million things to do, but I soooo want to write about my day. 

I got up early and was out the door by 7:30, just in case I got lost. I made it to the parking structure by 8:00--and then realized I didn't have my parking pass (which was sitting on my desk!). I threw caution to the wind and parked anyway. (And can happily report that I didn't get a ticket.)

I took a wrong turn out if the garage, sadly, and walked a few extra blocks before I got my bearings and headed for the Library. It was hot as hell at 8:00 a.m., so my first stop at the Library was the ladies' room to towel my face dry. This is apparently going to be a thing I do here in Knoxville. It makes make-up a waste of time, but that's just the way it goes. 

There were muffins and bagels and coffee and juice at the orientation, so I had some juice but was too nervous to eat. 

Slowly but surely other students arrived, not just the 15 of us new to the graduate program, but several returning students as well. It didn't take long for conversations to spring up (it never does for me). I was once again with my people. Before the muffins were even eaten, I found a pair of my colleagues who are willing to show me the local cemeteries. I'm so excited!  (Yes, I love cemeteries!)

Orientation itself was interesting and informative. One of my office mates put together a group to go to lunch, so I had a yummy chicken Caesar and a beer with six fellow students. Conversation ranged across topics like "things to do around Knoxville" to "the problems with the latest Hobbit movie" to "barbershop quartet singing."  It was openly acknowledged that it was a very nerdy discussion. 

Unfortunately, it was a grueling uphill walk back to the Library, so I again arrived as a sweaty mess. Next on the agenda was a tour of the Library with the history librarian. The Library isn't old and dignified like Yale's, but it is modern and tasteful, unlike Sac State's. Lots of places to study and people-watch. And, joy of joys, there's a Starbucks and a little store right inside. Coffee, snacks, and soda right there!  


I had my first meeting with the professor for whom I will be a TA this semester, along with my fellow TA in the class. I'll be leading three "discussion sections" this semester. I'll also be grading papers and exams. It won't be easy, but I'm looking forward to the challenge. 

Next came the department reception at Calhoun's on the river. Yvette, this is the Calhoun's we need to visit next time--beautiful view of the river. It was pretty fancy, with a nice buffet (the only graduate student "meal plan" offered). Actually, I had run into a fellow student as I walked from Dunford Hall to my car, so she rode with me to Calhoun's and took on the role of navigator. After a very nice time, and meeting some more colleagues (and agreeing to a trip to the Shiloh battlefield next April), I gave a ride home to two new pals who live on campus. It was a good thing I did, as they were facing either the wait for the bus or an hour-long walk in the rain. 


The day could not have gone better. Fellow history grad students are as friendly in Knoxville as they are in Sacramento. I was with my people (I can't say this enough!)

Tomorrow is the real first day of school. I'll again be up at the crack of dawn to find parking and wend my way to the classroom. This time, I think I'll pack an umbrella. 

Relaxed and happy in my tiny flat....


  

No comments:

Post a Comment