Friday, May 8, 2015

One Day More

Cafe Ragueneau, May 8, 2015, 2:49 p.m.

For the first time in my four visits to Paris, I'm out on my own. And I probably shouldn't be, as I've spent far more on this little shopping trip than I should have. And now I'm indulging in some much-desired ice cream. 



It is amazing to do this all by myself. Even though I've ridden the Metro dozens of times, there is something exhilarating about getting on by myself, with a specific destination in mind, and imaging what it would be like to live here. Although, I have to confess, I can more readily see myself in Berlin instead--just like Maddie and Heidi. 

I think I'm about done with gift-buying. There's not much left other than to pack and catch the flight back home tomorrow morning. 

Last selfie in Europe

Today is a big day across Europe--and not just because of the Conservative majority the Brits just elected for themselves. It is the 70th anniversary of VE Day. I watched the limited coverage on BBC World, limited because, like American news networks, they think politics is of prime importance. The French president laid a wreath at their tomb of the unknown soldier underneath the Arc de Triomphe. It was all very somber and there didn't look to be many people in the Champs Elysee for the event. John Kerry was there on behalf of the U.S., and he was interviewed in his pretty-decent French. 

It's funny how quickly people forget the positive momentous events of the past. On the original VE Day, people crowded the streets, singing, dancing, and doing a lot of kissing. But now, few appear to even notice other than its a general holiday for government and schools. We Americans are no different. Only really old folks and history buffs remember VJ Day and its importance. But ask us about our mistakes in the past, like slavery, treatment of Native Americans, or Vietnam, and we're delighted to go on and on about it. Why the bad but not the good?  I have no answer--yet. 

Hotel Ibis, 10:11 p.m.

Time to wind down for the night as we leave early tomorrow morning. 


I'm happy to report that the rest of this day was as good as the earlier part. I took the Metro back to the home station after my ice cream. As I came up the steps and looked toward the corner cafe, I was heralded by Maddie. Turns out, she and her sister were in their third round of drinks at that friendly little cafe. Before I knew what was happening, I was downing that 1664 beer like it was going out of style. A couple of rounds, and we walked down the street to do a little shopping--coming back to drink some more. By the time Reiner found us there, we were all a little tipsy. The bar man gave Maddie a free shot of Jim Beam directly from the shot-measuring device. And our last round of drinks were on the house. Reiner took a great pic of this jolly barkeep but phone troubles mean I can't show it here. 

We went to a little restaurant on the canal by our hotel for dinner. Then, Reiner and I came back to the hotel while Mad and Heidi have gone back to the cafe for one more round. It kills Heidi that she has to return to her home country where she won't be able to legally buy a drink for another two months. 

Tomorrow I'll write my last blog for this trip. There's nothing so broadening as travel--and nothing so comforting as going home. 





1 comment:

  1. Safe journey home. It is time to look forward to your next journey when you and Stella head to the really foreign place, Tennessee.

    ReplyDelete