Thursday, May 7, 2015

More Art--and some liquor

Ibis Hotel, May 7, 2015, 10:56 p.m.

Happy Great Britain Election Day!  When the only English-language television channel is BBC World, you follow the British election closely. While I'm sure it is important, I found the naming of Princess Charlotte Elizabeth Diana much more interesting.

Heidi by the Seine

Today was another day for history and art.  We began with history at Notre Dame.  It seems like my inner compass was not up to snuff, as I took us off the Metro and into the wrong direction.  Reiner, known for his map-reading abilities as "kleine Magellen," finally got us going in the right direction.  The  line was long--as it seems every line is this time in Paris--but it went quickly (in spite of the fact that Heidi was ready to throw down with some snotty French high school kids).

Once inside, I was vaguely disappointed. It was not as I remembered it.  (Oh, my, the Conservatives are predicted to win the majority!  They just announced this on BBC World).  Anyway, the cathedral was, for the first time that I can recall, not being renovated on its exterior.  I was able to see all the Kings of Judah lined up around the entrance. Inside, it was not as noisy as the Sistine Chapel, but it was clearly more of a tourist trap than a house of worship. The "donation" sought to light a candle was five euros, a ridiculous price for a tea candle and a prayer.



This artist, Maddie Herbon 



Biblical puppet show 


Anyway, Maddie made some sketches and took many photos of the beautiful stained glass. She is such a talented artist that, even when I'm used to it, I'm still surprised to see her work.

O.K., this is hysterical on television right now, totally distracting me.  They have a "virtual Parliament" on the screen with digitally produced David Cameron and his fellow competitors.

Back to blogging....After Notre Dame, the family unit had a difference of opinion on how best to get to the Orsay Museum.  Heidi checked the online map, and it was only a half hour walk, just over a mile.  Reiner "I can walk forever" Herbon wanted to take the train. So, we split the difference--Reiner took the train and Maddie, Heidi, and I walked. We Herbon women took the opportunity to enjoy walking along the river and looking at all the book stands along the way.  These little stands sell a little bit of everything except food products. You can get magnets, old magazines, postcards, signs, posters, prints, and, of course, used books.  It was fun doing this bit of window shopping along our walk.

Maddie and I purchased some local artwork

Once at the Orsay, we were pleased to note that the crowds were not too bad.  People seemed to gather around the Van Goghs and the Monets, but they didn't seem to bother with all the other pieces, including the Rodin sculptures and the special exhibit on Italian modern artists from 1914 to 1940.

After our walk to the Orsay

Mad and Heidi with the sculpture representing North America


Still my favorite, by Camille Claudel

I'm being crowned with a laurel wreath?? 

Maddie at the "Gates of Hell"

Seems like I always find people asleep at the Orsay

Maddie 

Heidi

Relaxing 

Hey, Heidi has this picture in her house! 




The Metro ride back to our little neighborhood was a long one and involved as much walking time as riding time.  But we went to the same little corner cafe that has become our hangout, and the bar bill surprised even Reiner (I'm telling you, the 1664 beer Heidi and I enjoyed was so good that multiple glasses were consumed).  Because we are such good customers, the bar man treated each of us to a minty disgestif to finish out the meal.

Now, I'm back in the hotel, the girls are tucked into their room, and Reiner has gone for a walk while I blog (I think the tapping of my fingers on the keyboad really bugs him).  Tomorrow is our last day of vacation.  I'm already planning to hug my dog and take a long, hot bubble bath when I get home.



No comments:

Post a Comment