Sunday, April 19, 2015

Gute Reise

High Over North Dakota, 2:00 a.m. Berlin Time

I write this while seated in my economy-class seat, next to Reiner and a row ahead of Maddie and Heidi.  We've finished a pretty nice dinner of pasta and chicken, and I'm about to try, yes try, to get some sleep.

A  word about SFO:  as we passed the check-in and walked toward security, a set of glass cases provided a little art show.  And what a show!  It was pieces of jewelry from Golden Age Hollywood.  Bette's fabulous clips from All About Eve, as well as one of the pieces she wore as Queen Elizabeth in Elizabeth and Essex.  Of  course, my favorite part was the pieces from my beloved GWTW, including the pretty necklace Scarlett wore to the bar-b-que and Belle Watling's bell earrings.

The first major expenses of the journey have been incurred here on the flight--the family liquor bill!  While I did not partake, my three traveling companions have had copious amounts of vodka, whiskey, and sparkling wine.  Sadly, this flight doesn't offer free liquor, unlike the Delta flight Yvette and I took in September, but Reiner dug out his credit card and covered the costs for the thirsty throats of himself and his daughters.

Our trip began with the arrival of Yvette at the Sumerlin Ranch just after 9:00 this morning.  In her father's car, she drove us all to San Francisco to catch out first flight. Check-in  and security went smoothly, although I did get patted down (the most action I've seen in a while).  

Now I'm in the middle of enjoying the Night at the Museum trilogy, just jotting down these few thoughts before sleep. I think Reiner will be staying awake as he seems engrossed in watching the map of our progress. Heidi stayed up till all hours last night so she could sleep on the plane; Maddie and I stayed up late out of sheer nervousness.  Hopefully, we can all get a little shut-eye.

To sleep, perchance to dream....

CDG Paris, 1:09 p.m. Berlin Time

Sleep was, alas, a dream that did not come true. It took a combination of factors to keep me awake, not the least of which was the constant yammering of my neighbor, who was as excited as a child (but not as charming) over his window seat.

Now we're in Paris waiting for our connecting flight to Berlin. I'm so ready to see my darling  Kusine Petra again, along with her Kinder and their Kinder.

The girls have already been exercising a little independence here at their first stop in Europe.  Frustrated with their father, who was frustrated with Air France, each of the girls took off for a little alone time.  Even now, waiting at the gate for the flight, Maddie is off on her own, while Heidi, having rejoined her father and I, is laying on the floor next to me, trying to get a little sleep.  Isn't travel broadening?




No comments:

Post a Comment