Friday, January 29, 2016

Snow Day and More

Huzzah!  I have experienced a Snow Day. That's right people, the early morning hours of January 20 brought a light snowfall and a 5:50 a.m. text from UTK. I had bread.  I had milk. Apparently those are the most important foodstuffs to have when you're snowed in. More importantly for me, though, I had Diet Coke, wine, beer, and Pop Tarts. I was good to go. 


At first, I didn't believe the snow would amount to much. I mean, it didn't even cover the top of the grass. But, as I watched through the day, the snow kept falling and eventually added up to a couple of inches. Now, of course, I have no proper footwear for snow. But I put on my rain boots and ventured out of my tiny flat far enough to take a pic of my darling Stella. 


Note to self:  wear socks with rain boots; the boots DO NOT keep out the cold!!

While we had enough snow on that Wednesday, the big Blizzard of 2016 almost totally snubbed the city of Knoxville. All around us, communities were getting record snowfall. We got maybe an inch. I was so mesmerized (and disappointed) with watching the Doppler radar that I didn't get anything done all day Saturday. Then I had to read nonstop on Sunday and Monday to prepare for the school week. Slaves and samurai danced together in my dreams. 

The school week went well. My Japan class, led by the admirable Dr. N., was amazing. Who would have thought that the history of Japan could be so fascinating? I credit Dr. N. with creating an environment in which the talk can flow so freely. Same is true of my African American history seminar under the thoughtful guidance of one of my three Dr. W.'s. Even Teaching World History went well this week, the class that is probably the most difficult for me. 

My TA project is getting geared up, and I met the historian leading the project, Dr. F.  She's amazing!  She loves history, cars, and horses--not necessarily in that order. She's got a dynamic personality and her enthusiasm and passion can really sell her ideas. This is going to be so much fun. 

Along with the Snow Day, the last week brought one other new experience for me. My buddy Matthew, who appears frequently in this blog, made two New Year's Resolutions:  to learn how to make sweet potato pie and to learn how to make sweet potato casserole. Happily, he began with pie. 


My first ever piece of sweet potato pie--and it was delicious. One down, one to go, for Matthew. And I feel so much more Southern. 

Now to spend the weekend reading and writing...

Knighty-Knight from Knoxville!!



No comments:

Post a Comment