Thursday, December 31, 2015

Goodbye 2015


It's another bathtub blog!  But this one comes from the guest bath at Aunt Samdy and Uncle Dale's house. Hot water and a combo of bubbles and bath salts--perfection!

Earlier today, I watched a CNN show called The Best and Worst of 2015. I think that's how I'll style this blog. 

The Worst of 2015

Topping the list of most awful things in my 2015 are the two important people I lost. Just before Easter, my Uncle Ricky succumbed to Leukemia. While I did not see my uncle very much, I still retained my memory of him as being one of the coolest guys ever. To think that there wasn't going to be any chance to spend time with him hurt me harder than I expected. My mother was heartbroken at the loss of the little brother that she helped raise, and I worried about her as well as my newly widowed Aunt Mona, now on her own for the first time. 


The second loss was equally devastating, if not more so. As I was settling in to life in Knoxville and the demands of a doctoral program, word came that my darling Nini had lost her decades long battle with cancer. I realized how much I had come to rely on her--for moral support, laughter, stimulating my intellect, and the unbeatable desire for snark that rested deep within each of us. Thank goodness I have a storehouse of happy memories to tide me through until I see her again. 


Of course, my heart broke for my beloved Paris as she endured two horrible terrorist attacks. But I don't worry too much about the City of Life. No low-life bunch of crazed idiots can keep her down. #PrayforParis

The last thing in my worst list involves leaving the house on Sumerlin Court after ten happy years. My girls grew into beautiful young women within its confines, and Minnie, Mittens, and little Dinah all rest in its big backyard. Randi came into our lives there, my "daughter by another mother."  And who will ever forget our Zombie Christmas Eve. Terrific memories of both happy and sad times in the Sumerlin Ranch. 

The Best of 2015

Thinking of the good things that have happened--where do I begin?

First, I think of the morning of February 16. Waking up, I checked my email. And there it was. An offer to pursue a Ph.D. in history from the University of Tennessee. I couldn't believe it!  I still can't!  My acceptance of their offer set off the chain of events that led to my moving to Knoxville, Tennessee, and embarking on the adventure of a lifetime. 


Only slightly less high-rated among the many good things that happened in 2015 was our family trip to Europe. Watching as the girls came to know and love their German relatives, getting to see Petra, Melli, Sascha, as well as Reiner's Opitsch relations, and once again enjoying the Berliner lifestyle was amazing. The best parts of both Rome and Paris were the local pubs were frequented in each place. Especially dear to me is the memory of having an impromptu picnic dinner in the courtyard of our Rome hotel. I realized that night that there is no disappointment so great that a loving family can't fix. 


Of course, the big move to Tennessee serves as a wonderful memory of 2015. I can't believe Yvette, Maddie, and I did all that!  I love remembering how we stopped for the night to watch the first Republican debate, with Mad sitting on the end of the bed making fun of the candidates. I love my tiny flat in the west side of Knoxville, and I am blessed with classmates that have made me feel welcome and accepted. I will never forget the comfort Tess, Alicia, Adrien, and Minami provided via pancakes after a stormy session with Dr. H. And I remember the support and camaraderie of Matthew as we sought strength from the long-dead master of the Hermitage, a pilgrimage that made us bad-ass enough to survive out TA assignment. 


Last but certainly not least was my visit to Montgomery for Thanksgiving. What a wonderful time I had as my aunt and I partook of history and much, much good food. 


Through all, good and bad, I've had the support of my family, blood relations and more. I approach 2016 with a determination to do better at school, to welcome my first guests (Mom and Heidi) to the tiny flat at spring break, to coerce both Yvette and the Princess to visit, to come home for Indy Breakfast, and to continue to enjoy this amazing time in my life. 

Cheers!


Yvette says:  "I hope the world finds its way to peace."
Lorraine says: "Mushy!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment