Friday, October 16, 2015

Overcoming Some Demons

Kinda glad to see this week coming to an end. I forced myself to overcome my greatest fear--then rewarded myself with some new furniture. And I did it all while suffering from some serious pain. 

The saga began last Friday with an innocent little toothache. I determined to apply some DIY remedies over the weekend, but, by Monday, I looked like I was storing nuts for the winter. I went to class anyway, then explained to Dr. H. my condition and continuing efforts to heal myself. He seemed dubious--and he was right. Echoing his doubt was Tricia, who, upon hearing of my condition, began worrying on my behalf.


By Tuesday, it was clear that home remedies were not working, damnit!  I did some quick Google and Yelp research and settled on Cornerstone Dental. Carrying enough anxiety and pain to send my blood pressure through the roof, I presented myself at the beautiful office just ten minutes away down Kingston Pike. 

Here's what I learned on my dental crusade:  a Southern drawl goes a remarkably long way to easing anxiety. Both the assistant and the dentist had beautiful, honey-sweet accents; I loved it!  While I settled for antibiotics and painkillers for now, my plan is to have more work done by these dulcet-toned dental professionals in the near future. 

Having conquered that particular toothy demon, I determined to give myself a little treat. Finally, after two months of sleeping on Heidi's air mattress, I bought myself a bed. It's not too showy, as beds go, but I splurged for a decent mattress. After all, I tend to keep my beds and mattresses for decades--it's worth at least starting out with something good. And spending a little more for my own benefit made Yvwtte happy; she's very steadfast in her faith in a good mattress. 

The new bed should arrive a week from tomorrow. But, even before then, I should be the happy owner of a new entertainment center and television for my living room. I feel a little decadent spending so much, but my beautiful tiny flat deserves to be adorably furnished. 

This weekend will be spent catching up on all the things I let slip because of severe dental pain. In between writing an annotated bibliography and finishing up papers to be graded, I'm hoping to unpack a few more boxes in the guest room. And a trip to the "package store" might be in line. I met a neighbor today who suggests that I try apple pie moonshine. I'm not sure this is advisable, but what the hell. I'm living in the South now. And when in Rome....

Moonshine?  Really?  



No comments:

Post a Comment