Saturday, September 19, 2015

With Football on my Television

It's true. The roars from Neyland Stadium reach out from my TV as I write this. The Busch race's monotony proved too much for me, and football acts as a suitable background-noise replacement. While the Vols have the lead now, last week's lesson from Oklahoma shows that early leads don't mean much if they aren't continued on to the end. I'm hopeful, though. 

This week seemed endless--and it was my own fault. I owed a paper to Dr. P. In the theory class, and I couldn't find it in myself to write it until just three hours before class. In the interest of full disclosure, though, I was easily distracted by the Republican debate on Wednesday. It's tough to be a Republican these days, but the debates are not short on entertainment value. 

In addition to the paper and the never-ending books and articles to be read, this week involved grading the 600-750 word papers from the 60 students in my discussion sections. I am pleased to report that there were some A's, lots of B's and C's, a few D's and very few F's. The graded papers were returned on Friday but resulted in only one student at my office hours to discuss the grade given. Most students are, I believe, far more anxious about their first exam this Monday. This will mean more grading for me and my co-GTA, Matthew, but that's why they pay us the big bucks. 

I don't know how I would get through the stresses of GTAing without Matthew. He's the personification of the well-bred Southern boy. A little shy at first, he has a wonderful smile, excellent manners, and a quick wit that seems so at odds with his innocent personae. We lean on each other for support and have even planned a trip to the Hermitage for later this fall. Why the Hermitage?  Because it will take the spirit of Ol' Hickory to see us through the semester. 

The Gender History class of Dr. S. continues to fascinate. In this class on Thursday, I had an actual epiphany.  I mean an out-loud, exclamation-of-delight type of epiphany. We had read some Foucault--always a nightmare--but Dr. S. cleverly used the white board to create some images to help explain the work of this inexplicable Frenchman.  Then, to my astonishment, Dr. S. demonstrated how it related to Gail Bederman's Manliness and Civilization!  That was when the epiphany happened, that amazing moment when Foucault made sense. I will never be the same again!  


Friday night saw my first evening social outing here in Knoxville. In my research/writing seminar, the students are beginning to form ideas for just what we will research and write. I visited Dr. H. to discuss my idea this week, and, to my surprise, he's going to make me tackle my subject (history textbooks) from a much deeper perspective and more sophisticated approach than I ever imagined. Here's hoping I can bring that level of brain power!!

Anyway, my classmates will soon be meeting with Dr. H. as well.  We decided it would be a good idea to get together outside of school and talk things over. It started as a plan to go out for a couple of beers, but Lindsey's roommate has been dying to cook for people. So, last night, I joined a few of my pals at Lindsey's adorable little house for chips, dips, beers, sweet tea, burgers, and brats. The talking and laughing, combined with the yummy food, made for a really fun evening. As Yvette reminded me today, I always love being with "my people."


Today, I had plans to clean my tiny flat, maybe go out and buy a bed. I've been able instead to clean up my desk, put things in binders, and do the dishes. And I'm out. Football game, tacos, Diet Coke, a handful of M&Ms, and I should be ready for a long night's sleep. 

Knighty-knight from Knoxville!



2 comments:

  1. I snickered when you used the term "Brats" in talking about your delightful get together; and I wondered if that was used to describe the youngsters or some delicious sausage like foods. I'm guessing foods. Grading papers=Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a giggle about that, too, but didn't want to type out bratwurst. Too lazy of a blogger....

      Delete