Monday, September 22, 2014

Lafayette, We are Here!

The Hotel Alane, Sept. 22, 2014, 12:55 p.m. (Paris time)

I write this blog from the lounge of the Hotel Alane in the 10th Arrondissement, in the Faurbourg St. Laurent.  The area is so named for the Church of St. Laurent (or Lawrence), famous for being martyred on a bar-b-que grill, noting cheerfully about halfway through his torture, "turn me over, I'm done on this side."  

After learning that we could not check in until 2:00 p.m., in spite of having arrived at 10:00 a.m., we checked our bags in the lobby and headed over to check out the Church.  According to the little English-language flyer, the building was initially begun in the fifteenth century, with additions, repairs, and enhancements going on into the nineteenth century. The flyer also said a little about our neighborhood here, which was originally on the outside of the city gates.  Now the 10th is home to more than 150 hotels and is a center for retail sales (and, yes, there are lots of shops around) and the garment industry.  

Anyway, when finished looking around the Church, we scouted out several brassieres, finally settling on one that offered several kinds of desserts and crepes--and free WiFi. When the friendly English-speaking waiter brought out the list of lunch specials, steak with Bernaise sauce and french fries (frites) was too good to pass up.




After such a good meal, it was time to walk around a little more.  Yvette decided to seek a replacement curling iron, one that would need no adapter and would, therefore, have less chance of burning up her hair (and mine).  While on this journey of discovery, she located a nail salon.  As I write this, she is getting a pedicure.

With my own toes made beautiful by my own Tracy back home, I felt no need for such a treatment.  Instead, I came back to the hotel to write this blog and kick back a little.  While sitting here in the lobby right now, I met the nicest group of people.  An older couple, obviously British, and a middle-aged woman with an older lady.  These two were definitely American.  More than that, they're from Nor Cal!  One is from Janesville, near Susanville, and the other is from Eureka.  The world is a very small place in Paris.

Gare de Est, Sept. 22, 2014, 5:50 p.m.

Got settled into our teeny-tiny room, which lacks both a closet and a dresser.  So, we're making the best of things, looking out the window to the street below which houses what I've deemed a "disreputable sandwich shop."  A man in gold chains stands at the front, and it appears to be frequented by motorcycle riders. 

Yvette took a little nap when we got into the room and got settled, but I thought I'd tough it out and try to stay awake.  I came up with the plan to visit the Gare de Est when I saw that it was home to a Starbucks--a little coffee might help me make it until I could go to sleep at a reasonable hour.  Well, before we came over here, while I waited for Yvette to unpack and take a shower, I'm surprised to say that I, too, took a little nap.  Feeling at least somewhat refreshed, I awakened and we came the one block to this amazing train station.


Gorgeous as both a train station and a mall

The beautiful painting that hangs between the station and the actual tracks was not the only surprise here.  It's a full-on MALL!!  Yvette stopped at The Body Shop for supplies, while I found Diet Coke, a gift for a certain daughter of mine (one with pretty brown eyes and a fondness for mean cats). And we found the best of all possible places, the Lorraine Store!


The Lorraine Store!!

Bought myself a little snack

Having walked around the mall, we're now stopped at the Starbuck's so Yvette can have a Cafe Americano--supporting the homeland.  I'm not feeling quite myself, having been awake for 26 hours before I took what amounted to a nap of less than an hour.  I know tomorrow I'll recover.  A trip to the Pantheon, perhaps the CATACOMBS!!, and maybe a train ride to Chartres will put me right.

For now, goodnight my readers.  I'll be sleeping the sleep of the well-traveled tonight.

P.S.  Yvette says:  "Despite being higher in price, its always good to be home."  She gazes lovingly at her Starbuck's cup.




3 comments:

  1. Music for the Catacombs: Dans Macabre, Op 40 Saint-Saens. 3 Symphonies

    PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do try the local coffee concoctions. May be good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As for your first blog, After up for 26 hours you need your sleep and I look forward ti your adventures tomorrow

    ReplyDelete