Saturday, April 12, 2014

Gettin' My History On

I begin this blog in the student union at California State University, Chico, named yesterday as C-SUC. Skipping the bagels and muffins here in favor of yummy breakfast at my hotel, I arrived with Tim in tow in time to hear the opening remarks from the Dean, the History Chair, and the PAT advisor. Then it was off to the first of the breakout sessions. 

Tim and I indulged our mutual love of the Tudor monarchs by attending the session on Lancaster, Tudor, and Restoration England. The three undergrad presenters did a great job, and I believe I now know where J.K. Rowling got the word "muggle" (yes, there was a guy named Muggleton that led an obscure religious sect in Restoration London). 

By 11:00 a.m., it was time for my panel and me to strut our stuff.  Our commentator/moderator was pretty harsh right off the bat.  I was scolded because he did not have a copy of my full paper--a scolding he reiterated three times.  In the end, though, I'm happy he didn't have a copy.  My co-presenters, one on the Dada art of Hannah Hoch and the other on photography during the Crimean War, were mercilessly critiqued by the guy, who founds flaws in their methodology, their use of sources, and in their conclusions.  With me, he couldn't read my full paper to find fault, so he quizzed me with questions, including asking if I cherry-picked the films I used during my presentation.  Hah, buddy!  I was ready with my answer on how I identified the movies and how I watched all of them myself.


Shirley Temple graced my first slide


Making eye contact with the audience


With the exception of the commentator/moderator, everyone in the audience was very nice.  I got great questions, although a few I couldn't answer because they concerned matters I hadn't included in my paper (but great ideas for later research).

After my session, it was time for lunch.  Salad, garlic bread, and a very weird veggie lasagna were on the menu.  What's up with lasagna that has giant chunks of carrot in it? I mean big-ass wedges of carrot?  But the conversation at our table more than made up for it.

Which leads me to this special section on how I will no longer call California State University,Chico, by its defunct nickname, C-SUC.  It does not, in fact, actually suck.  Sitting at a table with both CSU Chico faculty and students, it became clear that the faculty here is very engaged with their students in a way that just impresses the heck out of me.  Many of the history department staff from Chico were in attendance, some as moderator/commentators and some apparently just to be supportive.  Faculty from the other Nor Cal universities that had students presenting were also in attendance, with a large contingent up from CSU Stanislaus.  

The noontime speaker was Dr. Kate Transchel who gave a wonderful talk on Ukraine, its history and its current situation.  Certainly helped me make sense of what's going on in that part of the world and why its unfolding the way it is.

After lunch, it was Tim's turn to be on a panel.  As usual, he presented with a very polished style and a wonderful PowerPoint that included a cartoon of James Madison ("little Jemmy Madison" as Dr. Dimare says) punching King George in the nose and causing blood to stream out from the King's nostrils. While Tim was teased for not being patriotic (he says the U.S. did not actually "win" the War of 1812--but I don't think he'd ever say that to Ol' Hickory's face), he still managed to win the favor of the commentator/moderator on his panel and his audience.


Future Professor Tadlock


It doesn't matter what Lorraine thinks,
the U.S. did not win the war!


With the end of Tim's panel, it was time to go to the big conference room for last announcements and for awards. Unlike the Fresno conference of a few weeks back, at this one all presenters submit their entire paper for review and judging.  Awards are given for first, second, and third in undergraduate papers and the same for graduate papers.

The young gal who won first place in the undergraduate category truly deserved her honor.  I watched her presentation (she was on the same panel as Tim), and she put forth a really unique interpretation of Thomas Jefferson's republican ideal of the yeoman farmer and the role of land ownership.  Then it came time for the graduate awards.    I didn't get to see either of the third and second place winners present, although I did talk with the guy who took second about his topic as he was seated with us at lunch.

Then came the big moment.  Tim and I didn't even know whether our papers had been in consideration for the prizes, as we had turned them in late.  And when Dr. Lewis of CSU Chico (formerly C-SUC) announced that the first-place winner was from Sacramento State, I'm pretty sure we were holding our breaths.

And then....


Tim won at the 2013 Conference--this year was my turn


It was like winning an Oscar--but I didn't have to thank all the little people.  Needless to say, I floated out of the university and into my car, got hugs from Tim and Steph and the kiddos, and came back to the hotel.  Of course, I called Mom and bff Yvette to share the news, and immediately began bragging on Facebook.  

But now the glow is wearing off, and I've got to get back to the very real business of passing my exams and geting that M.A. after my name.  With the NASCAR race on television and a couple of books about Andrew Jackson and the Second Bank of the United States, I should have one hell of an evening.

One last thing, here were the judges' comments on my paper....

Ms. Herbon's essay was an extremely well written exploration of a fascinating and relevant subject--history as seen through the eyes of the media.
Her focus on Americans' continuing fascination with a nostalgic, romanticized and often inaccurate past demonstrated a commanding grasp of the subject.  It presented an insightful and persuasive critique concerning the "Lost Cause" picture of Civil War America as it is presented in film.
Her essay accomplished an admirable two-fold objective:
True to historical studies, it informed
True to Hollywood, it entertained. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment