Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Veni Vidi Vici

It's true, what it says in the title.  We came to the South, we saw the South, and we conquered the South.  At the same time, the South conquered us.

A week ago at this time, my traveling companions and I settled into our room at the Embassy Suites in Atlanta.  We saw history (Atlanta History Center, Margaret Mitchell's house, Oakland Cemetery).  We saw art (Dutch Masters, The Girl with the Pearl Earring).  We saw pop culture (World of Coca Cola, CNN).  And we saw the Lost Cause peeking out from beneath the veneer of "good for all time zones" packaging (Stone Mountain).

Two nights ago, we took over a room at the Cambria Suites in Savannah.  We saw the natural world (Tybee Island and the Atlantic Ocean).  We saw still more history (Bonaventure Cemetery, the Historic District).  And we saw fabulous consumerism (the Riverwalk, Savannah Bee Company).

Our trip was amazing.  There's nothing more clever I can say.  It was just hella amazing.  The girls will remember how much they loved walking down the path from Stone Mountain in the rain and how cool the World of Coca Cola was.  Yvette loved traveling with her Goddaughters--and, of course, she enjoyed her time at the Savannah Bee Company.

I loved so much about the trip that I don't know how to describe it.  I loved being with my babies and with the best traveling companion a girl could ever wish for.  And I loved the history, the art, the pop culture, the natural world, and even the consumerism.  I loved meeting new people, faking a Southern drawl, and driving through the quiet Georgia night under a full moon.  I loved eating at the Waffle House, at the Swan Coach House, at Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House.  I really loved discovering pralines.  I loved the Civil War and the New South of Atlanta and the Colonial Era and the Revolutionary War of Savannah.

I can't express all the emotions welling up, even as I type this (of course, I am bone tired, which might be why I'm so "verklempt").  So, I'll just stop.

This is History Girl, signing off....  




1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your journey to Georgia with the rest of us. I certainly enjoyed every adventure that you shared with us. Will I see a photo/blog book in the near future?

    ReplyDelete