Thursday, March 8, 2012

Structuralism

As an historian, I hate structuralism.  The idea that some overarching force controls human destiny is abhorrent to me.  Whether it be some economic or linguistic structure, or even some form of geographical determinism, I don't like the idea that people are helpless in determining their own culture and charting their own path through time.

That said, I absolutely crave structure. 

I have not blogged much (or at all) recently about my personal life.  I have focused exclusively on writing book reviews for my blog since I left my job four weeks ago.  To sum up the past month--I have been without structure.  With the exception of attending classes and doing school work, I have allowed myself to be swept along with whatever wind prevailed at the moment.  From one thing to another, I have not allowed myself to take control of my life.

That changed today.  I am lucky enough to have three different friends who told me in three different ways to get myself pulled together.  One friend did it by gently suggesting a simple first step; just start with one thing and the rest will follow.  The second friend did it by showering me with her amazing generosity and positive nature; she made time to listen to me when I needed to talk and she bought me good beer when I was going to have to drink bad beer (very important to me).  The third friend pulled no punches, telling me succinctly to "get off the couch." 

So, I got off the couch today.  I took a walk, I did some housework, I tackled some chores that I had been putting off.  And I feel better.  I have another structured day planned for tomorrow, and I look forward to that sense of accomplishment that comes with checking things off my to-do list.  This much structure may not be necessary in the future, but I believe right now that it is the way to move forward. 


 
As ever, I am amazed by the way life has blessed me with the right people at the right times.  I'm off to drink one of those good beers now....


No comments:

Post a Comment