Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Adjustment Bureau


Why can't the transition from one phase of life to another be painfree and easy?  Because, it just can't, that's why.

My first week of unemployment has been a period of adjustment.  I have alternated between periods of great productivity and terrible indolence.  On one hand, I managed to read all of Kenneth Pomeranz' The Great Divergence: China, Europe, and the Making of the Modern World Economy.  This was no small feat, as the book was remarkably dull.  Yet, I still have two papers to write and another book to read for next week.  I also have family history tasks to do, both for myself and for Generations Uncovered, the business that my friend Linda and I are starting. 

With all that I have before me, I still find that I need time to grieve for the old life.  I will need to work out a schedule for myself, with time alloted for school, home, geneology, mourning, job-hunting, and (now that it's February) NASCAR.  Life will be full in the future, once the adustment period has been met and conquered.  Time will pass, I will look for and find another job, and adjustment will start again. 

Oh, my God!  Life is just a big series of adjustments.  Guess I'd better get on board....

No comments:

Post a Comment